I was called upon to make a vegetarian-friendly side for the 17th anniversary of my mom's 29th birthday, so I decided upon Veganomicon's Chickpea-Quinoa Pilaf. The Veganomicon on Amazon's website
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 small yellow onion, chopped finely (about one cup)
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 tablespoon coriander seed, crushed (spice grinder or mortar and pestle)
* fresh ground pepper, to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon tomato paste (I substituted hot pepper paste)
* 1 cup quinoa (rinsed well)
* 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked)
* 2 cups vegetable broth (or reconstituted bullion)
1. In a small stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions in olive oil for about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
2. Add the tomato paste, coriander, cumin, black pepper, and salt; saute for another minute.
3. Add the quinoa and saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add the chickpeas and broth; cover and bring to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, lower the heat to very low, cover, and cook for about 18 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water; stir occasionally.
5. Fluff with a fork and serve.