October 22, 2009

What the EFF!

HOW did I get away with never posting my tortilla soup recipe?!? I'm punished. Now, as my penance, here it is. :)

Jennifer's super easy tortilla soup!

You'll need:

about 3 cups of broth (chicken or veggie)
2 cups of frozen corn
1 small can of ro-tel, drained
2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
OPTIONAL 1-2 jalepenos, minced (***WEAR GLOVES TO CUT JALEPENOS unless you want your hands, face and other sensitive areas to burn!!!***)
1 bell pepper, any color, diced
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 yellow onion, diced
salt, pepper, and cumin to taste
about 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro, snipped into little pieces
the juice of 1 lime
OPTIONAL 2 cups cooked chicken (here's my fave cheater move on this: I buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and pull the meat off it! Pre-seasoned and delish. ^_^)

tortilla chips
sour cream
shredded cheese

Here's how:
put everything but the cilantro, lime and chicken in a large pot. If it's not looking like it's enough broth, go ahead and add more. Cook on medium heat about 20 minutes until the onions and peppers are nice and soft. I like my soup a little zesty, so quite a bit of cumin goes into mine. I also like cayenne powder. When all the veggie are looking and feeling awesome, I add the cilantro, lime and chicken. I let it all bubble together for about 5 minutes to mingle all the flavors together.

Ladle it into bowls, add about a handful of chips (I like to crumble them up) and let it cool off a smidge, then garnish and serve. I like to garnish mine with sour cream and cheese. :) YUM YUM!

No comments: