November 23, 2009

Giving Thanks.

It's been a long year! I have many things to be grateful for. Thanks to everybody who has given me a helping hand, a happy thought, a soft shoulder, something to fill my belly or my heart. I love you all and you make my life so rich. :)

Lovely Mr. Zach made a kick-butt chicken noodle soup last week, when I was sick. It singlehandedly cured me, and killed all the zombies. Miracle substance indeed!

Here's Zach to tell you how:

8 Cups water
8 Cubes chicken bouillon
1 8 oz can cream of chicken soup
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken
4 Stalks celery
4 Whole carrots
1 Medium yellow onion
1/2 Cup parsley
4 Cloves garlic
2 Cups egg noodles

Serves 6-8, or two with a lot of leftovers!

In a large pot mix bouillon and water according to directions for the bouillon. In this case it was one cube per cup of water. Add the cream of chicken, and start heating the mixture. Meanwhile, cut the chicken into thin segments, and add to the broth. Let the broth come to a light boil, and reduce the heat so that it continues to simmer. Chop the celery, carrots, onion, and add them to the broth (protip: chop the celery leaves with the stalks, and add them to the soup for more great celery flava'!). Increase heat to bring it back to a simmer if necessary. Chop the parsley, mash the garlic, and add them to the broth. Continue to simmer until the vegetables are almost soft. Add the egg noodles, and cook them at a fast simmer until they are done. Voila! Soup! Serve hot, and in bowls, preferably. Season to taste, however I found it quite excellent without any additives.

Sidenote: At the store I found "homestyle" egg noodles on the bottom of the noodle shelf. They are thicker, and more delicious than the thin spiral noodles (in my opinion). You may want to break them into smaller segments as they expand quite a bit when cooked.


Me again. He's cuuuute. :) Anyway, Thanksgiving is this week. I plan on making baked mac and cheese, caesar salad with homemade croutons and homemade dressing, and possibly a dessert. I can't decide between doing an old favorite or getting brave and making something totally new. I'll keep ya posted.

Have a good week! :)

No comments: