It's been an outrageous fall, full of little bits of everything. Promise I'm not trying to ignore the blog, but I've not been cooking just tons and tons either. I did make a little dinner for myself tonight after I got in from work. :)
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/2 small yellow onion
4-5 white button mushrooms
salt and pepper
1 tbsp minced garlic
splash of white wine
2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 container of Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream
Brown your meat. Mine was the 93/7 variety, so no need to drain it. Add diced onion, sliced mushrooms and garlic, cook on medium heat until onions start to become translucent. Add wine and Worcestershire sauce, cook down until it quits "singing" and smells nice again. Salt and pepper to taste, then add the sour cream (I use Tofutti because the real deal gives me trouble). I ate this over some thin noodles, with a little salad alongside. Super quick, and it was pretty satisfying! :)
Bonus: Dad's Birthday Cake
* 1 cup butter
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 8 egg yolks
* 3/4 cup milk
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 cups cake flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 - 8 inch round pans. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped. Cool 15 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks.
It was moist and delicious! I frosted it with Perfectly Chocolate Frosting, and it was a happy birthday indeed. Happy 50th, sir!