January 18, 2011

Okay, I'm not dead...

...just stupid busy.

I'm working at a vocational college in the city teaching skincare every weeknight. It rocks. I'm still cutting hair 2 days a week. That's exhausting, but it keeps my hands in the hair , plus paying things off a little more quickly.

As a result, the crockpot's been seeing a lot of playtime. Here's what's coming up tonight....

Veggie stuffed peppers

4 whole bell peppers
1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup shredded cheese (I had sharp cheddar, but pepper jack would be tasty)
1/3 cup uncooked rice
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 yellow onion, diced
big handful minced parsley
chili powder, cumin and salt to taste

Cut a thin slice off the top of each pepper. Carefully take out seeds and membranes, leaving pepper intact.
Combine all other ingredients in a bowl. Spoon mixture into each pepper. Stuff 'em good. Any excess filling can be poured on top.
Arrange peppers in crockpot (4 quart is perfect). Cook on LOW setting 4-6 hours. Serve with lime and sour cream.

If you're having folks over for dinner, it'd be a pretty presentation if you used several colors of peppers. Sigh. :D

Anyway, to catch you up some more: I'm pretty sure I'm lactose intolerant(yuck), so I'm using less dairy nowadays. Zach got me 2 nice cookbooks with healthy, veggieful recipes and *gasp* a 7-cup Cuisinart food processor. *commence happy ugly cry*
I opened my big mouth before the holiday break and challenged my students to some self-improvement. So, I've been calorie counting and I'm going to start a Zumba class tomorrow morning. To celebrate, I went to TJ Maxx and got a new pair of workout shoes, breathable socks and some comfy pants. Yee haw!

No comments: