July 27, 2009

Ice Cream Sammiches!!!

I was a good girl on Saturday and didn't get Maggie Moo's at lunch. I rewarded myself by making homemade snickerdoodles into tasty ice cream sandwiches that tasted lightly of cinnamon. YUM. Here's how:

SNICKERDOODLES

* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
*sugar and cinnamon mixed in a bowl (about 1/4 cup of sugar and a tablespoon of cinnamon)

Baking directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Roll dough into balls just a little smaller than a golf ball.
3. Roll balls of dough in sugar and cinnamon mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.


ASSEMBLY

I had a container of my fave vanilla bean ice cream out on the counter while I baked, so it would be soft enough to work with when the time came. I size matched my cooled-off cookies, then went to work assembling the tastiness. I rolled up a smallish scoop of ice cream, plopped it on the bottom side of a cookie, then smooshed the other cookie on it, to make the sandwich. Upon completion of the construction, I had them all on a plastic platter and put them in the freezer to firm up before serving. I brought one in my lunch today, much to the envy of my coworkers. YUMYUMYUM. :D To further enhance your DIY cred, home churned ice cream would be awesome. Pioneer Woman has a great recipe I've been dying to try!

No comments: