I hope Zach knows that I'm the luckiest girl in the world! He's the best and I love him so much. :) I asked him about his birthday cake a few weeks ago and he said raspberry and lemon. YUM CITY! I gladly took the challenge.
* 1 cup butter
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 4 eggs
* 3/4 cup milk
* 1 teaspoon raspberry extract
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 cups cake flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons raspberry gelatin powder
* 8 oz pureed raspberries (strain through mesh if you don't want seeds in the cake)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 3-6 inch round pans. I'd also recommend lining the bottoms with parchment, to make the layering/assembly easier later. Sift together the flour, baking powder, gelatin and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and raspberry extracts. Stir in the pureed raspberries. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped. Cool 15 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks.
* 1 cup butter, softened
* 3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon lemon emulsion
Cream together butter and sugar. Add lemon juice, vanilla and lemon emulsion. Mix until creamy fluffiness is achieved. If this is going to be an "outside" cake, substitute 1/2 your butter for crisco. It'll stand up better to the heat.
This combination proved to be mighty tasty, indeed! :)
Happy birthday to my man! <3