July 27, 2011

Sometimes, the reward is in doing.

Zach texted me yesterday to inform me that he was feeling melancholy. I replied that he could look forward to indian food, cupcakes, and a netflix laughfest. Then, I was stuck. I didn't have any of those things, but I needed to act fast to ensure some measure of happiness for my beloved. I decided to make a dish resembling chicken makhani and bought cupcakes at one of the local bakeries.

Very like chicken makhani!

1 package (I bought 1.25 pounds) boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into little chunks
1/4 cup lime juice
3-6 cloves garlic, minced (to taste)
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried ground corriander
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cardamom (green or black, both are tasty)
salt and black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 inches ginger root, peeled and microplaned
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 handful chopped cilantro


How-to:
Place diced chicken in a bowl. Add lime juice, garlic and spices, marinade up to overnight. I marinated mine for about an hour and it was still tasty, but the longer you can leave it the better it tastes. :)
Heat butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and ginger, saute until onions are soft. Add chicken and turn up heat slightly. Cook for about 4 minutes or until chicken is uniformly white and meatlike all the way through- no pink! Add tomatoes and broth, turn it down to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add your yogurt and cilantro, continue to simmer and stir occasionally until mixture thickens. check spice levels and adjust accordingly. Serve with rice and nan. :)

This was good, and we ate it all- no leftovers! :)

No comments: