October 12, 2011

Comfort food deluxe!

The school semester is in full-swing around here, and trying to make dinner nightly is not always a basket of kittens, lemme tell ya. lol :) I strive for a handful of objectives when making our dinners:

1. minimize dairy for me, so I can be a better roommate and co-worker :)
2. utilize on-hand ingredients where possible
3. fast/easy but still delicious
4. not spending a mint on ingredients

Keeping that in mind, I scour my favorite recipe sites looking for gems. Here's another one from Tasty Kitchen, submitted by Julie's Treats and Eats: Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole!


Ingredients:

* 6 ounce package Wild Rice
* savory spices as desired (I'm thinking bay leaf, oregano, thyme...)
* 2 Tablespoons Butter
* 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
* 1 pound Chicken Breasts, Cooked And Shredded
* ½ cups Sour Cream (I substitute Tofutti Better than Sour Cream)
* 10-¾ ounces Cream Of Chicken Soup

Directions:

1. Cook wild rice according to package directions. While the rice is cooking, melt butter over medium heat in a skillet. Add mushrooms and spices, saute until tender. Add chicken, sour cream and cream of chicken soup to mushroom mixture. Remove from heat.

2. Add cooked wild rice to mixture and combine. Pour into a 2-quart casserole dish and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.

No comments: